My Christmas & New Year’s eBook Is Out!
I’ve just published a recipe collection for the festive season: Modern Mediterranean: Christmas and New Year. By following the Modern Mediterranean diet, you can enjoy sumptuous Christmas and New Year’s meals without piling on the pounds. And when the holiday season is over, you can continue enjoying these nourishing dishes throughout the winter months.
No one wants to be on a diet during the festive season, but it’s a tricky time of year. “Modern Mediterranean: Christmas and New Year” will enable you to eat your way through the holidays without risking your waistline or needing to count calories under the Christmas tree. It is packed with mouthwatering dishes that are so delicious you won’t feel you’re on a diet. What’s more, the recipes are so satisfying and nutritious that you’re unlikely to overindulge.
All the dishes in this book are gluten-free and Paleo/Primal-friendly, offering alternatives to conventional festive fare that so often contains large quantities of grains, dairy and sugar.
The book reflects my nutritional philosophy, which I like to describe as “Modern Mediterranean.” The Modern Mediterranean diet combines key elements of traditional Mediterranean dietary patterns with the latest scientific insights and modern food preparation techniques, to enable people with limited time and culinary expertise to eat a delicious, healthy Mediterranean diet.
The salient features of the Modern Mediterranean diet are:
• A wealth of plant foods brimming with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds
• Healthy fats
• Carbohydrates with a low-to-moderate impact on blood glucose levels
• Healthy protein from plant and animal sources
• Gentle cooking techniques to avoid the formation of hazardous chemicals
• Recipes that are quick and easy to prepare
• Avoidance of processed ingredients
• A way of eating that emphasizes enjoyment and mindfulness, thereby nourishing body and soul
The Mediterranean diet has been around for thousands of years and is supported by a vast body of medical research. Not only does this way of eating help with weight-loss, it’s also been found to lower our risk of serious illness, including heart disease, diabetes and cancer, as describe din many of my previous blog posts and in my book, Zest for Life: The Mediterranean Anti-Cancer Diet.
The dishes in this collection are based on seasonal recipes from some of the 21 countries lining the Mediterranean, including Italy, Greece, France, Lebanon and Morocco. To whet your appetite, each recipe includes a color photo. The book contains the following recipes:
SNACKS & APPETIZERS
• Cranberry cocktail
• Spanish spice-roasted nuts
• Two Mediterranean dips (Smoky beet & yogurt dip, Roasted red pepper & walnut dip)
• Chia-flax crackers
• Winter greens with pear, walnuts and Roquefort
• Salmon with champagne sauce on a bed of lentils
• Italian Christmas-Eve fish stew
• Slow-cooked lamb shanks with celeriac-potato mash
• Spicy Greek pork stew with apples, plums and chestnuts
• Spanakopita in garbanzo wraps
• Lima bean, pepper & feta stacks with salsa verde
• Endive, orange & pomegranate salad
• Asparagus in lemon vinaigrette
• Red cabbage, orange and radish slaw
• Green beans with garlicky tomato and dill sauce
• Potato and porcini mushroom gratin
• Moroccan roasted carrots with chermoula
• Shredded Brussels sprouts with apples and hazelnuts
DESSERTS & SWEET TREATS
• Citrus mousse
• Chestnut-chocolate yule log with orange sauce
• Greek walnut cake
• Five-minute marzipan
NEW YEAR’S CLEANSE
• New Year’s lentil soup
• Hot lemon, ginger and honey drink