Diet & Lifestyle Coaching
A growing body of science shows that even chronic health problems can be improved through changes in diet and lifestyle. Progress is often slow, however, which is why I recommend a gradual approach and a commitment to at least six coaching sessions. (Research has found that it takes people anywhere from 18 to 254 days to form a new habit; the average duration is 66 days, or 9 1/2 weeks. Yes, change takes time.)
Diet & Lifestyle Coaching is suited to anyone wanting to address --
- Metabolic syndrome: (Pre-)diabetes, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, hypertension, insulin resistance, high triglycerides & LDL, low HDL and obesity. People who carry excess fat around the middle are at higher risk of developing Metabolic Syndrome. While I don't recommend calorie-restricted weight loss diets (these don't work in 95% of folks), I work with my clients to address the factors and behaviors that may have contributed to their gaining weight, and this can help them lose weight without "dieting."
- Digestive complaints: Irritable bowel syndrome, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), diverticulitis, acid reflux, food allergies, constipation/diarrhea, etc.
- Cancer: Staying strong through cancer treatment; boosting your body's "anti-cancer" defenses; recovering from treatment and reducing the risk of recurrence; lowering cancer risk (for healthy people with an elevated genetic cancer risk).
- Immune & inflammatory problems: Frequent infections, thrush/candida overgrowth, sinusitis, allergies, autoimmune disease, joint pain, IBD, etc.
- Hormonal or reproductive problems: PCOS, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, fibroids, fertility problems, erectile dysfunction, etc.
- Neurological conditions: Seizure disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, MS, etc.
Before you begin your Coaching Program we meet for a two-hour Nutrition Evaluation to discuss your medical history, diet and lifestyle. (Sign up for your Nutrition Evaluation here.) At this session, we set goals for your coaching program.
For the duration of your Coaching Program we meet every one to two weeks to tackle your health issues in small, "doable" steps. We meet in person (Boulder or Denver) or via video-conference calls. To keep momentum going, we try to meet even if you're traveling (unless you're off the grid).
I tailor each Coaching Program to my client's specific needs. Most programs, however, cover some or all of these topics:
- Carbohydrates & insulin: “Good” vs. “bad” carbs and their effect on cardiovascular health, blood glucose, weight, inflammation, digestion, mood, brain health, etc.
- Demystifying fats: "Good” vs. “bad” fats; cholesterol and heart disease. Keto diets. Cooking oils. How much fat do you need?
- Protein power: How much protein do you need? What are the best protein sources? Animal vs. plant protein? The importance of quality. "Grassfed," "organic," "pastured" -- what do these terms mean?
- Meal planning: How to fit healthy carbohydrates, fats and proteins, probiotics and prebiotics into your daily diet
- Food shopping & cooking: How to cook from-scratch meals without quitting your day job; cooking on a budget; cooking when time is tight; cooking for picky eaters; etc.
- Mighty microbiome: How to optimize your gut microbes (which are involved in almost every aspect of health).
- Cooling inflammation: Inflammation is a major driver of disease, but diet, lifestyle and healthy gut microbes can help to reduce it.
- Sleep: Sleep is a key factor in health. What we eat affects our sleep, and how we sleep drives our food choices.
- Stress management: Chronic stress can have many negative effects on our health. While we can't switch off stress, we can learn to manage the effects it has on our diet, sleep and overall health.
- Movement: Moving our bodies daily -- which isn't the same thing as "exercising"! -- is a prerequisite for physical and emotional well-being. I'll help you let go of unhelpful ideas regarding physical activity and adopt healthy habits that you'll enjoy.
- Environmental toxins and their effects on health: Safe cookware; safe house care products; safe cosmetics and body care products.
- Mindfulness: Many of us are largely unaware of our dietary and lifestyle behaviors. Let me show you how to eat, move, relax and sleep with awareness and intention: A fuller, richer life awaits.
The program includes:
- A copy of my book Zest for Life: The Mediterranean Anticancer Diet
- A binder for your course material, including articles, handouts, meal planning templates and recipes
- Weekly homework assignments to help you apply in your daily life what you learned during our meeting
- Feedback on your online food journal between sessions
My Diet & Lifestyle Coaching Program comprises a minimum of six 60-minute meetings that can be held in person at my Boulder or Denver offices or via video conference (or a combination of these). Additional sessions or half-sessions to provide ongoing support can be scheduled beyond the first six sessions. Fee: $80/session.