Diet & Lifestyle Coaching
A growing body of science shows that even chronic health problems can be improved through changes in diet and lifestyle. Progress can be slow, however, which is why I recommend a gradual approach and a commitment to at least six hours of coaching. (One study found that it takes people anywhere from 18 to 254 days to form a new habit; the average duration is 66 days, or 9 1/2 weeks. Yes, change takes time.)
Diet & Lifestyle Coaching is suited to anyone wanting to address --
- Metabolic syndrome: (Pre-)diabetes, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, hypertension, insulin resistance, high triglycerides & LDL, low HDL and obesity. While I don't recommend calorie-restricted weight loss diets, I work with my clients to address and reverse factors that may have contributed to weight gain and metabolic imbalances.
- Digestive complaints: Irritable bowel syndrome, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), acid reflux, food allergies, constipation/diarrhea, etc.
- Cancer: Staying strong through cancer treatment; boosting your body's cancer defenses; recovering from treatment and reducing the risk of recurrence; lowering cancer risk (for healthy people with an elevated genetic cancer risk).
- Immune & inflammatory problems: Frequent infections, thrush/candida overgrowth, sinusitis, allergies, autoimmune disease, joint pain, IBD, etc.
- Hormonal or reproductive problems: PCOS, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, fibroids, fertility problems, erectile dysfunction, etc.
- Neurological conditions: Seizure disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, MS, etc.
Before you begin your Coaching Program we meet for a two-hour Nutrition Evaluation to discuss your medical history, diet and lifestyle. (Sign up for your Nutrition Evaluation here.) At this session, we set goals for your coaching program.
Because many people struggle to find the time for regular meetings, I'm try to be as flexible as possible when it comes to structuring your coaching program:
- Location: You can choose where you want to meet with me: my Denver or Boulder office, via video-conferencing (Zoom), or a combination of all three. To help you maintain momentum we'll meet even if you're traveling (unless you're vacationing on a desert island with no Internet access, lucky you).
- Timing: When you sign up for six hours (360 minutes) of coaching you can structure this time as you like, in 30-, 60- or 90-minute blocks. During the first month I usually recommend weekly one-hour meetings, but once you hit your stride, meetings can be shortened to 30 minutes or take place every other week. Once you have used up your first six hours you can book additional sessions at the same fee.
I tailor each diet and lifestyle coaching program to my client's specific needs, though most programs cover some or all of these topics:
- "Good" & "bad" carbs, insulin
- "Good" & "bad" fats
- Protein power
- Meal planning, shopping & cooking
- The mighty microbiome
- Cooling inflammation
- Optimizing sleep
- Stress management
- How to enjoy physical activity
- Toxins in our food & kitchens, and their effects on health
- Mindfulness (at the table and in life)
The program includes:
- A copy of my book Zest for Life: The Mediterranean Anticancer Diet
- A binder for your course material, including articles, handouts, meal planning templates and recipes
- Weekly homework assignments to help you apply in your daily life what you learned during our meeting