Even complex health problems can improve markedly with the help of nutritional interventions. However, improvements can be slow to manifest, which is why I recommend a more gradual approach and a longer time commitment. The Mediterranean Makeover is suited to anyone dealing with
- Obesity / excess weight: Especially for people with excess fat around the waist (a.k.a. "belly fat")
- Metabolic syndrome: (Pre)diabetes, fatty liver disease, hypertension, insulin resistance, high triglycerides & LDL, low HDL, etc.
- Digestive complaints: Irritable bowel syndrome, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), acid reflux, food allergies, constipation/diarrhea, etc.
- Immune problems: Frequent respiratory tract infections, thrush/candida overgrowth, sinusitis, allergies, autoimmune disease, etc.
- Hormonal or reproductive problems: PCOS, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, fibroids, fertility problems, erectile dysfunction, etc.
- Neurological conditions: Seizure disorders, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, MS, etc.
After the Nutritional Evaluation, we meet weekly to tackle your health issues in small, do-able steps. We begin each session with a 15-minute check-in and review of your food journal. Then we discuss the "theme of the week" (typical themes listed below; the topics will vary, depending on your health goals). The last five minutes are spent setting your homework assignment for the coming week.
Session 1 - Carbohydrates: “Good” vs. “bad” carbs. Balancing blood sugar. Weight loss.
Session 2 - Fats: “Good” vs. “bad” fats. Animal vs. plant fats. Cholesterol & heart disease.
Session 3 - Protein: Animal vs. plant protein. How much do you need?
Session 4 - Meal planning: Easy, tasty ways to get healthy carbs, fats and proteins into your daily diet.
Session 5 - Mighty microbiome: How to optimize your gut microbes, which are involved in almost every aspect of health.
Session 6 - Inflammation: Its role in disease and how you can reduce it with diet & lifestyle.
Session 7 - Physical activity: Essential to health and longevity
Session 8 - Sleep, stress and mindful meals: Managing stress, optimizing sleep and boosting mindfulness for health.
The program includes:
- A copy of my book, Zest for Life
- Handouts and recipes
- Weekly homework assignments to help you apply what you have learned
- Feedback on your online food journal between sessions
Meetings last 50 minutes and are held in person at my Boulder or Denver offices or via video conference.