Even complex health problems can improve markedly with the help of nutritional interventions. However, improvements can be slow to manifest, which is why I recommend a more gradual approach and a longer time commitment. The Mediterranean Makeover is suited to anyone dealing with
- Obesity / excess weight: Especially for people with excess fat around the waist (a.k.a. "belly fat")
- Metabolic syndrome: (Pre)diabetes, fatty liver disease, hypertension, insulin resistance, high triglycerides & LDL, low HDL, etc.
- Digestive complaints: Irritable bowel syndrome, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), acid reflux, food allergies, constipation/diarrhea, etc.
- Immune problems: Frequent respiratory tract infections, thrush/candida overgrowth, sinusitis, allergies, autoimmune disease, etc.
- Hormonal or reproductive problems: PCOS, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, fibroids, fertility problems, erectile dysfunction, etc.
- Neurological conditions: Seizure disorders, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, MS, etc.
After the Nutritional Evaluation, we meet weekly to tackle your health issues in small, do-able steps. We begin each session with a 15-minute check-in and review of your food journal. Then we discuss the "theme of the week" (typical themes listed below; the topics will vary, depending on your health goals). The last five minutes are spent setting your homework assignment for the coming week.
Session 1 - Carbohydrates: “Good” vs. “bad” carbs. Balancing blood sugar. Weight loss.
Session 2 - Fats: “Good” vs. “bad” fats. Animal vs. plant fats. Cholesterol & heart disease.
Session 3 - Protein: Animal vs. plant protein. How much do you need?
Session 4 - Meal planning: Easy, tasty ways to get healthy carbs, fats and proteins into your daily diet.
Session 5 - Mighty microbiome: How to optimize your gut microbes, which are involved in almost every aspect of health.
Session 6 - Inflammation: Its role in disease and how you can reduce it with diet & lifestyle.
Session 7 - Physical activity: Essential to health and longevity
Session 8 - Sleep, stress and mindful meals: Managing stress, optimizing sleep and boosting mindfulness for health.
The program includes:
- A copy of my book, Zest for Life
- Handouts and recipes
- Weekly homework assignments to help you apply what you have learned
- Feedback on your online food journal between sessions
Meetings last 50 minutes and are held in person at my Boulder or Denver offices or via video conference. Additional sessions or half-sessions can be scheduled after the program.