I created it for a webinar on satiety that I taught for the Boulder Community Health Cancer Center in February 2023 because it is rich in protein and fiber, two key ingredients to help you attain long-lasting fullness.
To make this dish even more satisfying, I have flavored the chicken with a fragrant shawarma seasoning blend that will bring back memories of delicious gyro meals you’ve had, while the multi-colored vegetables are sure to brighten your plate and your mood. You can use any seasonal veggies here, but try to stick with vegetables that aren’t too “wet” (like tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini) as these will steam, rather than roast — not nearly as tasty.
Sheet pan shawarma chicken with roasted vegetables
- 1 sheet pan approx 12 by 14 inches
Shawarma seasoning blend (makes about 1/2 cup)
- 4 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 tbsp cumin, ground
- 2 tbsp coriander, ground
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp allspice, ground
- ½ tbsp cayenne pepper
Chicken & vegetables
- 2 lbs chicken thighs skinless, boneless, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large red onion peeled & sliced lengthwise
- 1 large head broccoli cut into florets, stem removed
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper cored, deseeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 oz green beans topped & tailed
- 1 small sweet potato scrubbed clean under running water (not peeled), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup fresh parsley or cilantro (or a bit of both) coarsely chopped
- In a dry, clean jar, combine the shawarma seasoning blend; close lid and shake to combine. Set aside. (This makes more than you’ll need for this mea, so store the rest in a dark, cool place -- it’s a great mix to have on hand for many Mediterranean-inspired meals.)
- Place a rimmed baking sheet (approx. 12 x 14 inches) in the oven and preheat the oven to 450℉ with the pan in the oven. Preheating the baking sheet helps the ingredients cook evenly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine 2 tbsp of the olive oil, the lemon juice and 2 tbsp of the shawarma seasoning blend and stir to create a paste. Add the chicken pieces and toss in the paste until they are coated all around. If you have time, let them marinate for an hour (or even overnight, covered).
- In a larger mixing bowl, combine the chopped vegetables. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tbsp oil and sprinkle with ½ tsp each of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss until the vegetables are evenly coated with oil.
- Once the oven has preheated, use an oven mitt to carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven. Spray or brush with a thin film of olive oil (about 1 tbsp), then spread the vegetables in an even layer on the baking sheet. Nestle the chicken thighs among the vegetables.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Stir the vegetables and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and registers 165℉ on an instant read thermometer, about 5-10 minutes more.
- To serve, sprinkle the sheet-pan – or the individual plates – with coarsely chopped cilantro and/or parsley and 1-2 tbsp sauce per serving.