I love tasty side vegetables that take only minutes to make. This one goes beautifully with any meat or fish dish that needs a green accompaniment; it’s quite rich thanks to the butter, almonds and olive oil, so take that into account when you serve yourself so you don’t feel overstuffed.
Best made during spring and summer, when asparagus is at its best.
Asparagus sauteed with almonds & garlic
The crunchy, tasty toppings bring a whole new dimention to asparagus.Print Recipe
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted (omit for vegan version and replace with another tbsp olive oil or another fat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp almond slices
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus fibrous ends snapped off. Try to find asparagus that's ½ inch thick at the bottom. If thinner, shorten cooking time.
- 2 tsp Thai fish sauce if that sounds too weird or you're making a vegan version of this dish, use ½ tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and butter and swirl to combine.
- Add sliced almonds and garlic and cook, stirring continuously, until these turn barely golden -- about 1-2 minutes. (Don't let them brown as they will taste bitter.) Using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic & almonds to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Now place the asparagus in the skillet and toss in the oil & butter mixture until coated all around. Sprinkle with fish sauce and freshly ground pepper.
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat until al dente, around 4-5 minutes. Using kitchen tongs, turn the spears once or twice.
- When the asparagus is done, season to taste with salt, pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Scatter with parsley and reserved almonds & garlic. Serve immediately.
- Leftovers keep for 2-3 days in the fridge, though the almond and garlic slices will soften and the asparagus will lose its bright green color. Still tasty & nutritious, though.
If you don't eat dairy, replace butter with a second tablespoon of olive oil.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 526mg | Potassium: 655mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 2509IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 123mg | Iron: 6mg